Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DTS Fails

Good Morning,

I've been running into a small problem. There are two people that usually create local packages to be executed by the DTS. Either my boss or I. The problem that I have been running into is, there are some local packages that will not execute when I try to run them. These packages are that my boss has created. When she runs them they work fine. But when I run them they just don't run. The only way I can run the local package is if I log in into the server and run it from there.

The error that I keep getting is:

Unspecified Error
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified.

What would I be able to do so that I can execute this local package from my computer?Could try changing the owner of the DTS package.

Have a look at the following link and tell me if it helps your situation.

http://www.sqldts.com/?212|||What is the package doing exactly. Is it accessing an odbc datasource and if so do you have this set up locally?|||It is accessing a datasource, and it has been set up on my machine. We use the same data source to import information. I am able to run other DTS that have been created by her, but I am not successful at executing all of them.

I did go to the link listed by aldo_2003 and there was some helpful information. So if I am not apart of the sysadmin group, then that can be a reason for me not being able to execute the local package? Cause like i said, when I log on the our server, I am able to execute the package just fine. Just not from my machine.|||You need to be either ower or part of sysadmin to execute the package to run.|||Otherwise what you can do is open the query analyzer, connect to the remote server and EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'dtsrun /S (local) /U {uid} /P {password} /N {name dts package}'

With this you can see whether the package executes well or not.

If you wish to schedule this package on the remote server you need to modify the DTSrun on each step from the schedule as well.
Modify the dts to read the same: dtsrun /S (local) /U etc... via the Tab Steps and the button Edit|||Thank you very much for all your help. I was listed as a sysadmin, but there were a few drivers that I had to add to my user dsn. That was the whole reason why I was getting the error. Everything works fine now.|||This is how I did this.

control panel -> administrative tools -> Data Sources -> User DSN -> Add -> Select Driver -> Finish

Then you will be prompted to type in the Data Source, Host, and Port.

Then you should be able to run the local package.

No comments:

Post a Comment