Thursday, March 29, 2012

DTS Fixed Field length File Limitations

Hi,
I am trying to upload a fixed field text file to a sqlserver table using the DTS wizard. The txt file has 111 columns and the total length of a single row is 5897. The problem is when I use the wizard to specify the starting and ending of each column, its not allowing me to specify the columns beyond the position 4095.
Is there a limitation on this? if so is there a work around ? to solve this.
Any help on this is truly appreciated.

Thanks much. :)I've never encountered this problem but then I have never had a file quite that wide....

Personally what I would do is write a quick wee app or ActiveX Script to slice the file in half and then do the import in two stages... probably doesn't help much but it's the best suggestion I can give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment