Thursday, March 29, 2012

DTS Failure

I have an existing SQL Server database that we want to move to a bigger
dedicated server. When I DTS from the old to the new, after about 45
minutes I get the error that Bulk transfer failed. There is not further
explanation.
It appears that the tables and data was moved, but none of the non clustered
indexes, stored procedures or jobs were copied. I have tried the transfer
twice withe the same results.
What can I do to get this to work?
TIA,
Mike
I would recommend that you give up on DTS and either backup the database, copy the backup to the other server and restore using the with move option or if you can take the database off-line either use sp_detach_db or stop the SQL Server and copy the .mdf
and .ldf files to the other server and use sp_attach_db.
"Michael Beck" wrote:

> I have an existing SQL Server database that we want to move to a bigger
> dedicated server. When I DTS from the old to the new, after about 45
> minutes I get the error that Bulk transfer failed. There is not further
> explanation.
> It appears that the tables and data was moved, but none of the non clustered
> indexes, stored procedures or jobs were copied. I have tried the transfer
> twice withe the same results.
> What can I do to get this to work?
> TIA,
> Mike
>
>
|||Thanks for the suggestion. The detach and attach works great.
Mike
"Norman" <Norman@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7A9FDCDB-715A-4123-90AF-7B3C182DFFA1@.microsoft.com...
> I would recommend that you give up on DTS and either backup the database,
copy the backup to the other server and restore using the with move option
or if you can take the database off-line either use sp_detach_db or stop the
SQL Server and copy the .mdf and .ldf files to the other server and use
sp_attach_db.[vbcol=seagreen]
> "Michael Beck" wrote:
clustered[vbcol=seagreen]
transfer[vbcol=seagreen]

No comments:

Post a Comment